Geothermal air conditioning and geothermal heating systems are a great way to save money, conserve energy, and even qualify for geothermal tax credits.
What is Geothermal?
Also known as a ground source geothermal heat pump (GSHP), a geothermal system is a greener, more energy-efficient way to make sure your home or business is comfortable. This sophisticated system takes advantage of the steady flow of heat from the earth in the winter and displaces the heat in the earth in the summer. Residences and commercial properties use geothermal systems to conserve energy and create energy bill savings. In addition, federal and state energy tax credits can offer rebates of up to 30 percent!
How Does Geothermal Heating & Cooling Work?
This system utilizes the earth’s natural heat. Heat energy is extracted from the earth using ground loops, a system of pipes at least four feet underground. These looped systems can be configured vertically or horizontally, depending on amount of ground space available.
During colder months, this heat is distributed through your home or commercial facility through conventional duct work, evenly heating the building. In warmer months, the geothermal system extracts warm air from the building and returns it to the earth or uses it to heat water for showers and other hot water needs. It’s both economical and environmentally responsible.
Why Choose Geothermal for My Home in Raleigh?
There are incredible benefits to installing a geothermal heat pump. It not only it saves money, saves energy, is quieter than a traditional unit, but it extends the life of your equipment. Allen Kelly and Company is proud to be licensed geothermal system installers, meaning your project will never be outsourced to a contract company. In addition, our state-of-the-art drilling technology minimizes disruption to your yard.
Additional benefits of a geothermal heating and cooling system are:
- Less maintenance
- Free water heating in the summer
- Greater efficiency that saves money most homeowners recoup installation costs in only a few years.
Tax credits: Green energy incentives offered by local, state and federal governments make GSHPs more affordable than ever. (Learn more: Federal and North Carolina)
- With components indoors and underground, geothermal systems aren’t exposed to the elements like traditional outdoor HVAC units– making them less likely to be damaged.
- They have an expected lifespan is 20 years or more.
- Systems can be installed on almost any size residential or commercial property, under lawns, landscaped areas, driveways or the building itself. They can be used in new construction or retrofitted as a replacement HVAC system in an existing structure.
- Because these systems don’t pump in outdoor air, the indoor air is free of pollen, pollutants, spores and other allergens.
- Indoor components and fewer mechanisms mean less maintenance,
- The outdoor ground loop requires zero maintenance.
- No noisy outdoor fans! Geothermal systems can give you peace and quiet.
- GSHPs distribute warmed or cooled air more evenly throughout the building, eliminating hot and cold spots typical of conventional systems.
If you’d like to learn more about these systems, we are the expert geothermal system installers in Raleigh and the surrounding areas. We’re happy to explain the process, benefits and tax credits and help you decide whether a ground source heat pump system is right for you. Please call us at 919.779.4197 in Raleigh, 919.932.2180 in Chapel Hill and Durham, NC, or contact us online.